Led by Judge David Hamilton
In November 2020, Judge David Hamilton launched the court-sponsored program entitled Compassion, Opportunity, Mentoring, Purpose, Assistance, Success, Stepping forward (COMPASS).
COMPASS has been created for males aged from 18 to 26 who are high risk to reoffend and will provide an alternative to jail. The target demographic will have a traumatic family history (including family members who also have a criminal history), a history of dealing with trauma/mental illness, a housing issue such as homelessness, a lack of work/underemployment and a lengthy criminal record.
It is the mission of the COMPASS Program to provide young men who are adjudicated in the Akron Municipal Court with the support, skills and resources needed to chart a new course for their lives.
Community partners will be involved to grant resources that will promote responsibility with the goal of helping the men enrolled lead productive lives. Examples of these resources include trauma therapy, counseling, formal mentorship, financial literacy and vocational services.
COMPASS will meet bi-weekly on predetermined dates. The curriculum will include group discussions with videos and homework assignments using a variety of tools designed to show young men how to deal with trauma as well as how to get them prepared for life after probation. Discussion topics include depression, job retention, anger, anxiety and guilt.
COMPASS Advisory Board members are:
- The Honorable David Hamilton, Judge, Akron Municipal Court
- Mychal Brown, Probation Officer Akron Municipal Court
- Evaughn Cagel, President and CEO, Urban Ounce Of Prevention Behavioral Health Services
- Donald Christian, President, Akron-Urban Minority Alcoholism Drug Abuse Outreach Program, Inc.
- Jeffrey Dennis, Senior Pastor, Mount Calvary Baptist Church and CEO, Minority Behavioral Health Group
- Michael Hairston, Area Volunteer
- James Lawrence, President and CEO, Oriana House, Inc.
- Marquita Mitchell, Executive Director, Project Learn of Summit County.
- David Nelson, Senior Pastor, New Hope Baptist Church and Executive Director, Progressive Alliance Community
- Vincent E. Peterson, Pastor, Providence Baptist Church
- Michael Randle, Vice President of Correctional Programs in Summit County, Oriana House, Inc.
- Bernard Rochford, Executive Vice President of Administrative Services and Business Relations, Oriana House Inc.
- Jacqueline Silas-Butler, Executive Director, Project GRAD Akron
- Mayceo Smith II, Pastor, City of Joy Life Enrichment Center
- Marco Sommerville, Deputy Mayor for Intergovernmental Affairs and Senior Advisor to the Mayor, City of Akron
- Margo Sommerville, President of Akron City Council and Ward 3 Representative, City of Akron
- Vernon Sykes, Senator, Ohio State Senate District 28
- Joe Tucker, Executive Director, South Street Ministries
- Frank D. Williams, President of Fatherhood Initiative of Akron
For more information about COMPASS, please call Judge Hamilton’s courtroom directly at 330.375.2054.