The Akron Municipal Court has recently moved. Effective Monday, November 13, 2023, hearings will now be held at 172 South Broadway Street in Downtown Akron.
The Akron Municipal Court Probation Office assists the Judges in a variety of ways throughout the criminal court process. Specifically, this Department assists the Court as follows:
- Conducts pre-trial background screenings and makes bond recommendations
- Conducts pre-sentence investigations to assist the judges in the determination of appropriate sentences.
- Supervises offenders who remain in the community under the jurisdiction of the court.
- Manages the Court’s specialized docket programs: Recovery Court, Family Intervention Court, Mental Health Court, Valor Court and OVI Court
- Conducts background screenings and determines eligibility as well as assists with management of the DRP Program (Prosecutor’s Office Discretionary Rehabilitation Program)
- Administers alternative sentencing programs to supplement traditional penalties. Community service, for example, can serve as an alternative to incarceration and/or payment of fines in appropriate cases.
- Restitution to victims of crimes also is accomplished through the Probation Department.